Forum

What is the advanta...

Notifications
Clear all

What is the advantage of a higher pixel count?  

What is the advantage of a higher pixel count?

Topic Tags
1 Answer

The primary advantage of having more pixels is that you can make larger prints because you are working with larger files. The digital images that your camera produces have pixel dimensions that are determined by how many pixels are on the sensor. On my Nikon D90 dSLR, the maximum pixel dimension for an image is 4,288 × 2,848 pixels. Because the standard resolution for making a high-quality print is 300 pixels per inch(PPI), you can find the maximum size of the largest print you can make by dividing the pixel dimensions by 300. In the case of my D90, that would provide a maximum print size of roughly 14 × 9.5 inches.If your camera has smaller maximum pixel dimensions, the largest enlargement that you can make will be smaller. If it has more, the maximum enlargement you can make will be larger. The optimum resolution of a print is 300 PPI, however, you can make excellent quality prints at a much lower resolution. If I lower the resolution to 200 PPI, I can make a maximum print of roughly 21.4 × 14.25 inches. Scenic shots,like the lighthouse shown here, make great wall art, so keep resolution in mind when choosing a camera if you want to make large prints

Share: